Can Dogs Eat Grapes? Sweet But Deadly Fruits

Grapes and raisins are toxic fruits to pets such as dogs. Research shows that grapes are poisonous fruits that could result in kidney failure when ingested by dogs. Renal failure may turn out to be catastrophic to the dog.

Even a small quantity of grapes is not safe for dogs.

Kidney failure is often accompanied by several symptoms such as vomiting and the production of urine halts. If your dog exhibits such symptoms it is best you seek the services of a vet immediately.

Grape Toxicity in Dogs- Why are Grapes Bad for Dogs?

Since cases of dogs dying due to grape toxicity have been on the rise for the last 25 years, it has prompted research on the toxicity of grapes.

can dogs eat grapes

From the research, it is evident that the grape type has no effect on the level of toxicity. There are several types of grapes such as grape pressings, commercial fruits, homegrown fruits, seeded and seedless varieties.

Raisins are not a different variety of grapes but are the dried form of grapes which makes them more concentrated than normal grapes. The toxicity of raisins is, therefore, higher than that of grapes.

According to the Merck Veterinary Manual, the toxicity of grapes is estimated to be about 32 grams per kg of the dog’s body weight. The estimate for raisins is lower than that of grapes standing at 11-30 g/kg.

can dogs eat grapes safely

Source: Petful.com

What makes grapes and raisins toxic is still unknown. Some researchers speculate that the toxicity could be as a result of mycotoxin. However, this toxic substance has not been tested and there is no evidence to support the speculation.

Can Puppies Eat Grapes

Toxicity of grapes does not depend on age, breed or gender. When puppies consume grapes, the effect will be the same as that of an adult dog. Just like adult dogs, it is best you keep grapes away from your puppies. Puppies should not be fed on grapes or raisins.

Can Dogs Eat Green Grapes

Dogs cannot eat green grapes. Green grapes are toxic to all dogs. The type of grape doesn’t matter whether green or red. If you want your dog to remain healthy, keep him away from grapes. However, grape seed extract is not listed as a threat to dogs.

Can Grapes Kill Dogs

Just like other toxic foods, ingesting grapes could result in death if not handled immediately. The compound that brings about the toxicity is currently unknown. If a dog consumes either grapes or raisins, the results could be very devastating.

The level of toxicity in the raisins and grapes is very high that it results in kidney failure if not counteracted immediately.

The effect of the toxins may vary from one dog to another where some may be affected and others may not. After consuming grapes, dogs may show symptoms such as diarrhea, vomiting, and even lethargy.

Dogs may also lack appetite and become dehydrated very fast. As the kidney failure progresses, your dog may die within 3-4 days.

What To Do If your Dog Eats Grapes

Once you ascertain that your dog has eaten grapes, try to induce your dog to vomit before the grapes are digested and absorbed into the bloodstream.

can dogs eat grapes

Hydrogen Peroxide: Use a hydrogen peroxide solution to induce vomiting. The amount of solution you give to your dog should be directly proportional to its weight. That is one teaspoon per 5lbs of your dog’s body weight.

When you are trying to induce vomiting, be cautious. Also, make sure the number of teaspoons given at a time should not be more than 3. If the vomit delays for more than ten minutes repeat the procedure using the same dosage.

This process should not be carried out more than thrice and should be spaced with an interval of ten minutes.

If after inducing vomiting and nothing happens after the third time, stop using hydrogen peroxide. Don’t try out anything else without consulting a vet.

Also, don’t use a stronger solution without the vet’s consent and approval. Be cautious not to induce vomit without absolute surety that your dog ingested grapes or raisins.

Also inducing vomit should be spared in instances where your dog is having difficulty breathing, having severe distress, or is unconscious. Make sure you take your dog to the nearest vet whether he vomited or not.

Activated Charcoal: Other than hydrogen peroxide you can also use activated charcoal to prevent the toxin from being absorbed into the bloodstream. Before you administer the activated charcoal it is important to consult a vet on the amount to give your dog depending on the quantity of grapes that your dog ingested.

Since dogs respond differently to medication, it is important to take your dog to the vet for professional medical care.

Symptoms of Grape Toxicity

The symptoms of toxicity are similar to those of kidney failure. There are several symptoms associated with grape toxicity such as vomiting, hyperactivity, diarrhea, abdominal pain, breathing difficulty, dehydration, tremors, loss of appetite, and lethargy.

The vet will diagnose the toxicity depending on vomit content or if your dog has a history of consuming grapes. The vet also carries out several tests to ascertain the level of toxicity.

These tests include a urinalysis, Serum Biochemistry Profile and Complete Blood Count (CBC). The urinalysis a vital tests as it helps assess the extent of kidney damage by the toxins from the grapes.

Sadly, there is no antidote for poisoning resulting from eating grapes.

Poisoning Treatment

Since there is no antidote, the vets reduce the absorption of the poison to reduce the amount of damage to your dog’s kidneys. The health damage can be controlled if the dog was checked as fast as it happened.

The vet will use activated charcoal to reduce the absorption of the poison and hydrogen peroxide to induce vomit. Your dog will then require intravenous fluids which are administered through a drip injection.

These fluids are vital in flushing out all the absorbed toxins before they damage the kidneys. Other drugs are administered to reduce the vomiting or nausea and also to regulate blood flow to the kidneys. The vet evaluates your dog’s response to the treatment. If the dog’s response to treatment is poor, the vet will use a more aggressive method of treatment.

Conclusion

Grapes and raisins are toxic and should not be fed to dogs. There are many fruits other than grapes that are suitable for consumption by dogs.

Related Posts
  1. Can Dogs Eat Peanuts?
William Sagide
 

Batman devotee. Introvert, classical music enthusiast, and lover of cookies. Spends his time with his dog, traveling to new destinations and time with his family. Dreams of one day writing a novel.

Click Here to Leave a Comment Below 0 comments