Best Dog Shampoo 2017: Dog Shampoo and Puppy Shampoo
Most dogs enjoy playing or rolling in dirt and muddy waters. Often, these fun times results in a smelly and filthy looking dog. For most dogs, walking around all dirty and muddy is fun. The owners have to wash the dogs to keep them looking good and smelling nice. That’s why you need to use the best shampoo for dogs.
It is advisable not to bathe the dog too frequently because often baths reduces the skin oils on the dog’s coat. Production of excess skin oils could result to bad odors.
As you bathe your dog choose a preferable shampoo for your dog. Take into consideration the allergies, skin care and the natural skin oils. Use the best shampoo for dogs for best results.
Our Top Pics of Best Shampoo for Dogs
Reasons To Use Dog Shampoo Instead of Human Shampoo
Sometimes you may be tempted to use human products to clean your dog; here are the reasons why not to do it.
To begin with, human beings and dogs have different pH levels. Human shampoos are acidic which best suits the human skin but when used on dogs it alters the pH levels making them vulnerable to infections, parasites, and bacteria. Using an acidic shampoo on an alkaline dog skin breaks the skin mantle exposing the skin to bacterial infections.
Lastly, dogs have a more sensitive skin as compared to human beings. Human skin has 10-15 layers while the dog skin has 3-5 layers. The dog skin gets easily irritated by human products due to the sensitivity of the skin.
The human skin can handle the harsh products but the dog skin becomes dry, abrases, and becomes itchy. Visit the pet store and buy the best shampoo for dogs but in case you run out you could use baby shampoos.
How Frequent Should You Clean Your Dog?
How regularly you clean your dog depends on the dog’s lifestyle, breed and habits. Mostly for those dogs that spend most of their time outside they will require a bath every 4-6 weeks. Dogs that stay indoors will require less frequent baths every 2-3 months.
For double-coated dog breeds bathe them after three months. Keep the baths as minimal as possible unless they get too smelly. Select the best shampoo for dogs and reduce the baths to minimize the possibility of the oil skins drying out.
Excessively shampooing your dog could lead to hair damage and lose of the natural hair shine. The most ideal way to increase the time intervals between baths is to brush your dog’s hair every day. Not cleaning the dog at all could lead skin irritation and eventually lesions appear.
Tips on How to Clean Your Dog
To get the best results when cleaning a dog follow a procedure.
To begin with, brush your dog’s hair and remove debris or tangles caught in between the hair. Secondly, prepare the bathroom and assembling all the bathing materials and treats for good behavior.
Remove the dog’s collar and if necessary restrain using a muzzle or a special bathing tether. Use lukewarm water and a comfortable mat such that the dog will not slide while bathing. Gradually introduce the dog to the lukewarm water by sprinkling on the back.
Use low pressure and allow the dog to get accustomed to the feeling of water running down its back. Protect the dog’s eyes using petroleum jelly and insert cotton balls in the dog’s ears to protect them from water and shampoo.
Using a soft brush lather the dog in the hair growth direction then clean the dog’s paw pads. Rinse thoroughly starting from the head down to the rest of the body.
If need be you could use a dog hair conditioner. Lastly, wash out the hair conditioners and shampoo then dry the dog. Keep him warm till he’s fully dry.
The Best Shampoo for Dogs Reviews
There is no shampoo that is suitable for all dogs; each shampoo suits the needs of certain dogs but not all. Shampoos are classified into five distinct categories;
- Organic shampoo
- Heavy duty shampoo
- Hypo allergenic shampoo
- Shampoo and conditioner combined
A Best Organic Shampoos
These shampoos are made using natural ingredients and are suitable for most dog breeds. Organic shampoos are gentle and very effective. Some of these shampoos are;
1 Earthbath Natural Shampoo
Earthbath are totally natural and well formulated to efficiently clean dogs. Earthbath is made up of oatmeal; Aloe Vera purified water, coconut-based cleaners, food-grade vanilla, almond extracts and vitamins A, B, D and E.
- It is environmental friendly
- The aloe and oatmeal heals itchy parts and efficiently moisturizes the dog’s hair and skin
- The shampoo is gentle and non-teary
- The addition of almond extracts and vanilla to the shampoo ensures the dog is well scented
- It easily lathers
- Very and smelly dogs may require a more efficient shampoo other than Earthbath
2 Wahl Oatmeal Shampoo
Wahl is also a natural shampoo and has several different scents and formulations to choose from depending on the dog’s needs and the owner’s preferences. All its ingredients are extracted from plants. The shampoo comprises of Aloe Vera, lime and lemon verbena, coconut and oatmeal.
- Wahl is natural, gentle and safe for cleaning dogs
- Oatmeal relieves itching and heal dry dog skin
- Only small quantities are required to lather water since the shampoo is concentrated
- Has several scents to choose from
- The scents are quite strong and may be a bother to sensitive or allergic people and dogs
- The shampoo may not be effective in cleaning very dirty and stinky dogs
B Best Shampoos for Stinky Moments
Heavy Duty Dog Shampoos are the most efficient to use when cleaning dirty and stinky dogs. It is advisable to have a Heavy Duty Dog Shampoo just in case the situation gets stinky. The Heavy Duty Dog Shampoos are not to be used regularly but only for dirty and stinky moments.
1 BarkLogic Lemon Tree Natural Deodorizing Shampoo
It is natural and extracted from plants. It is more efficient in handling serious odors than the organic shampoos.
- Fast and effectively gets rid of the odor on contact
- Gentle on the dog’s skin and non-toxic
- Easy to lather
- Environmental friendly and biodegradable
- The shampoo is fit for vegans
Has only one disadvantage that the dog requires repeated shampooing to maintain a refreshing scent especially the lemon scent.
2 SynergyLabs Veterinary Formula Triple Strength Dirty Dog Shampoo
This shampoo is famed for its heavy-duty action when used to clean dirty dogs. The shampoo is comprised of vitamin E, glycerin, de-ionized water, tetra sodium EDTA, foaming agents and fragrances.
- The active cleaners in the shampoo have been tripled giving it an edge over its competitors
- Boasts of an additional “Dirt Repel” formula
- The aloe, wheat protein, shea and vitamin E protects and restores moisture on the dog’s coat
- The shampoo is concentrated and lathers easily
- Scented with tea and green apple perfumes
- The refreshing smell is not long lasting as it lasts only a few days
C Best Hypoallergenic Shampoos
Some dogs have very sensitive and allergic skins thus require special shampoos. Hypoallergenic Shampoos are best suited for these breeds of dogs especially the Labradors.
1 4-Legged Certified Organic All Natural Dog Shampoo
It is a natural shampoo but is mostly used for its moisturizing qualities that come in handy when dealing with sensitive skins.
- Has natural moisturizers and works well when used on dogs with dermatitis conditions
- Has natural tick and flea deterrents
- The shampoo is 100% vegan and the packaging can be recycled
- The shampoo is hypoallergenic and suitable for all age brackets and skin types
- Its consistency is thinner compared to other shampoos
2 Vet’s Best Hypoallergenic Shampoo with Aloe Vera
Vet’s Best Shampoo is suitable for sensitive skin and re-moisturizes the dog’s coat. The shampoo is made up of Allantoiin, Aloe Vera, Vitamin E and Panthenol.
- Designed to re-moisturize, soothe itching and restore energy to the brittle coats
- The shampoo has no soap assuring that the dog will not tear during a bath
- Does not affect tick or flea treatments applied earlier
- Can reduce hair shedding
- Does not require the use of a conditioner afterwards
- Does not lather easily
- The shampoo is not scented
D Best conditioners
1 Isle of Dogs Everyday Jasmine and Vanilla Silky Coating Conditioner
This conditioner is gentle, scented and promises silky, lustrous looking hair locks. The shampoo is largely chemically based.
- Re-moisturizes the coat and works well with tangled hair
- The conditioner is scented
- Lathers and rinses of easily without leaving sticky residues
- Has a long term effect on the silky coat
- The shampoo is chemically based thus not suitable for those looking for natural products
2 Earthbath All Natural Oatmeal and Aloe Conditioner
The conditioner is natural and works well with the Earthbath Shampoo.
- The conditioner is suitable for use with all types of hair
- Has a moisturizing effect on the hair and eases itching or irritation
- The conditioner is concentrated thus budget conscious
- The conditioner irritates the dogs eyes when it comes into contact with the eyes
E Best Dog Shampoo and Conditioner Combined
1 Oxgord Organic Oatmeal Dog Shampoo and Conditioner
It is highly effective and is among the most popular 2-in-1 currently in the market. Both the shampoo and conditioner are fully organic.
- Natural and environmental friendly
- It is recyclable and appropriate for vegans
- The conditioner detangles the dog’s coat
- Lathers easily and has a re-moisturizing effect on dry skin
- The combination has no soap thus assuring no tears
- it is quite expensive compared to its competitors
- The fragrance has a low density and thin consistency
2 Earthbath All Natural Mango Tango Shampoo and Conditioner
The product is organic made up of plant-based conditioners and cleansers
- Has a gentle touch on the skin and coat
- Has a long-lasting effect on the dog’s hair
- Does not affect earlier flea treatments
- It is totally biodegradable
- The combination lathers easily
- Its mango scent is refreshing and easily rinses out
- It is not very effective when used on hair or skin problems.
With the above recommendations choosing the best shampoo for dogs will be an easy task. Choose a shampoo or conditioner according to the dog’s needs. If you want a nice smelling dog opt for a scented one.